Jean A. Harrington
A partner at Duffy & Sweeney, Jean Harrington is an integral member of the corporate team with special expertise in mergers and acquisitions, representing sophisticated private investment funds, multi-national corporations and other market participants in their most challenging transactional matters. She is known for engineering creative resolutions which unite divergent parties and bring complex deals to fruition.
Jean has been recognized by Best Lawyers and Chambers USA: America’s Leading Guide for Business and, in 2017, was named to the Board of Directors for the Employers Association of the NorthEast (EANE).
“Jean Harrington has a fabulous reputation and is well known in the market for her sophisticated corporate practice, M&A deals and corporate advice.” | Chambers USA: American’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Represented a software development and services provider for commercial and industrial environments in the 2014 sale of substantially all of its assets in a transaction that included sophisticated tax planning and carryover investment in the new entity by management.
- Represented a real estate project development and management company in its acquisition of a Newport-based yachting and entertainment venue in 2014. The eight-figure transaction involved a private placement of equity under Rule 506 of Regulation D of the securities laws as well as traditional bank financing.
- Represented a Netherlands-based wind turbine manufacturer in establishing US operations and the development of wind turbine installations throughout the United States.
- Represented a real estate developer in the acquisition and financing of a large scale commercial residential mill project and related equity, bank and tax credit financing.
- Represented a private equity fund in the formation of two multi-million dollar REOC investment funds and negotiated the investment therein by several large pension funds.
- Represented a Rhode Island manufacturing company in the sale of substantially all of its assets to an international publically traded strategic buyer for in excess of $60 million.
- Represented several manufacturing companies in multi-million dollar transactions involving the sale of their businesses with a roll-over investment component to large private equity firms.
Jean has been recognized by Best Lawyers
in the area of mergers-and-acquisitions law and by Chambers USA
including named as a leader-in-field for the Providence metro area for corporate and commercial law. The recognition is based on criteria that include technical legal ability, professional conduct, and client service.
Jean was part of the firm’s corporate team that presented a program entitled “Selling a Business: Ensuring Clients Achieve Maximum Value” for the RI Society of CPAs and its members in December of 2015. This program analyzed the anatomy of a sale including key market terms and concepts, negotiation tactics, and critical financial and accounting aspects of every deal.
For many years, Jean presented the annual seminar on corporations law for the Rhode Island Bar Association.
My Blog Posts
Brown University (BA with Honors)
Boston College Law School (JD magna cum laude )
Bar and Court Admissions